We are all sinners in need of a savior. God has provided forgiveness for our sins through Jesus Christ. Can we live well without Jesus? Many have tried and failed.
Man has gone against the word of God since the beginning of time
“You have neither listened nor inclined with your ears to hear, although the Lord persistently sent to you all his servants the prophets, saying, ‘Turn now everyone from his evil way and wrong doings and dwell upon the land which the Lord has given to you and your fathers from of old and forever.” Jeremiah 25:3
The Ten Commandments declare: “You shall not kill.” Exodus 20:7-17
Several recent examples of evil come to mind:
- On Wednesday, 28 October 2018, in the Jewish Synagogue of Life in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania—a man who hated Jews brought a rifle and a pistol—sprayed the sanctuary with bullets; 11 eleven were killed; many had serious injuries.
- We were startled by the slaughter of members of the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh PA eleven Jews were killed Monday, 29 October. The killer expressed delight in killing eleven Jews. He had given himself into the hands of Demons!
- Stephen Paddock collected weapons in his hotel room in Las Vegas, Nevada. He unloaded the weapons from the balcony of his Las Vegas hotel. In October, 2017, he sprayed a shower of bullets in a park outside where many people were gathered enjoying themselves; 59 people were killed; 500 were injured.
- San Bernardino shooting, On December 9, 2015, Syed Rizwan Farock and Tashleen Malik, a married couple open gun fire at a holiday party at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino; 14 people were killed. Where did they get the authority to kill 14 people? Did they consult God? They did not care about God!
- And recently, the world was stunned by the murder of journalist, Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudia Arabia Counsalent in Turkey.
Where does evil come from? Where did it arise?
In the Old Testament we read how Adam and Eve raised two sons, Cain and Abel. In a fit of jealousy, Cain killed his brother Abel, and God condemned Cain for what he had done.
God created the Universe. It is his work. He created humanity in his own image and teaches us how to relate to one another, but man has disobeyed God’s will from the beginning.
- Evil is ignoring God.
- Evil is deliberate disobedience before God.
- Evil is deliberate harming another person.
- Evil is deliberately refusing to save a person from drowning, when we have the ability to save them.
God warns us about evil through the prophets, Jesus Christ, and the teachings of the apostles.
“Now the works of the flesh are plain: immorality, impurity, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger, selfishness, dissension, party spirit, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like.” Galatians 5:19-21
“For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, fornication, theft, false witness, slander.” Matthew 15:19
“Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!” Isaiah 5:20
How are we to deal with it?
Those who enter into the rooms of the Devil will not prosper. Their future is darkness. There is no joy, only regret. But we have free will to choose life and not death.
“Put off your old nature which belongs to your former manner of life and its corrupt through deceitful lusts, and be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and put on the new nature, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.” Ephesians 3:22-24
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control: against such there is no law.” Galatians 5:22,23
“Repay no one evil for evil, but take thought of what is noble in the sight of all…Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” Romans 12:17 & 21
What can we do in the society in which we live?
Let us believe the solemn words God has given to us and teach others the guidance we’ve received from the Bible and the forgiveness we have through Jesus Christ.
“For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that overcomes the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world but he who believes that Jesus is the son of God!?” John 5:4,5
Do not fear man:
“When the servant of the man of God rose early in the morning and went out, behold, an army with horses and chariots was round about the city. And the servant said, ‘Alas, My Master! What shall we do?’ He said, ‘Fear not, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.” II Kings 6:16
“Now may our God and Father himself, and our Lord Jesus, direct our way to you; and may the Lord make you increase and abound in love to one another and to all men, as we do to you, so that he may establish your hearts unblamable in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints.” I Thessalonians 3:11-13